Thursday 17 December 2009

No offence meant.

I read a great article today by Tim Keller.  I have been easily offended by people in the past (there are some people I still take a lot of what they say the wrong way!)  In terms of Church life the nature of my husband's job can make me more sensitive to negative comments.  In the past I have made sure I withdrew from people telling myself that I don't have to listen.  Nowadays, I try to be more calm about it and wonder if there is any truth in what they say.  I am learning that I am not always right about everything, that others have their own opinion, and that you can be friends with people and agree to disagree. Life is a lot easier that way. 

I am also learning that just because I am a Pastor's wife doesn't mean I need to put myself in an Ivory Tower and stay away from the rest of the world.  Ivory is beautiful but cold, hard and not particularly comfortable.  If I conduct my relationships in that way I am not going to get far.  I want my tower to be soft and warm and big enough for others to share; and I want to be able to share theirs as well.

No comments: