Sunday 20 December 2009

A Good Friend Remembered

I am at the stage in life when a lot of my friends (and family) are hitting 40.  I thought this stage would never come but it has.  A few years ago a group of people from our previous church celebrated their 40th Birthdays by going abroad and doing a spot of White-Water-Rafting.

This event caused my husband and a friend of ours to discuss what they would do for their 40th birthdays which were a month apart.  Well the years have gone by but our friend is no longer alive.  He was taken to be with the Lord when he was only 38 years old.  Today would have been his 40th birthday.  I have been reflecting on him, his faith in God and his wacky sense of humour.  He and my husband shared that, often the sense of the absurd would overtake both of them and often at the most inopportune moments.  I have also been thinking of his widow and their son; she is remarkable.  God surely blessed us with this friend and I really wish he were still with us so that we could somehow celebrate his birthday.

So my husband will be celebrating his birthday in January but not as was planned.  He, instead, has chosen to have a party and share the time with a whole group of other friends and family.  And he will take time out to have a quiet time reflecting  our friend and what would have been.

1 comment:

Louvregirl said...

Beth! I just became a follower of your blog! I see that not everybody adds to theirs with some degree of regularity; maybe we can help each other in this area! Yours is pretty!
Love & rich blessings,
pluckypilgrim (Louvregirl)!