Thursday 16 May 2013

The Great British Sewing Bee - My style

A long time ago in a land far away, I had to choose what exams I wanted to take at 16.  I have vague memories of a blue/grey piece of paper with columns on it.  All the students were to select a subject from a variety of different areas, eg, a Humanity (History), a Language (German), a Science (Biology) etc.  We were also allowed topick an Art; as I have blogged before that is a no-go area for me.  So I decided to have a go at Needlework.  I have no idea what led me to that subject as I do not remember hours as a child with needle and thread, but then I do not remember much from my childhood but that is another post altogether.

Over the 2 years studying Needlework I am sure that I learnt many techniques and how to sew with different fabrics.  Eventually I got a CSE in Needlework, after making a passable Pinafore Dress with a long-sleeved T-shirt to match and a cuddly dog.

A few years after gaining that exam I made a wedding dress and 2 bridesmaids' dresses for my wedding.

 I made the flowers for the sleeves, the large bow at the back and  all the covered buttons and loops whilst commuting to work and during my lunch times.  Not a bad effort, even if I do say so myself.  It is nearly 20 years since that picture was taken and I have not done a great deal of sewing since.  I have made another wedding dress and a few more bridemaids' dresses, as well as the obligatory outfit for the school dress up days.

I have had a lot of time on my hands recently, and before my surgery I planned to do a lot of reading and teaching myself a new craft. To be perfectly honest, I did not think the latter would happen as I know my personality and how I can get side-tracked.  However, somebody alerted me to the 'Great British Sewing Bee' and I was inspired to dust off the sewing machine.  Over the years, I have found many excuses why I have not done any proper dress-making; laziness, 'I am far too busy' and the cost of materials (which will still be a sticking point so I am on the look-out for cheap fabrics!)  I have a very large box full of materials and found some which I have managed to turn into a dress for my youngest daughter.  I found a pattern which I adapted and fitted to her size.  I am pleased with the way it has turned out (although being me I can list all the mistakes I can see but I am fighting that tendency. :))



My next project is a Maxi Dress for my other daughter.  I am researching patterns and will need to make one up myself.

No comments: