Wednesday 20 June 2007

Prayer

I do not mean to imply that the Jerusalem temple, built by Herod the Great, is the direct counterpart of our church buildings today. God no longer centres His presence in one particular building. In fact, the New Testament teaches that we are now His dwelling place; He lives in His people. How much more important, then, is Jesus’ message about the primacy of prayer?

The feature that is supposed to distinguish Christian churches, Christian people, and Christian gatherings is the aroma of prayer. It doesn’t matter what your tradition or my tradition is. The house is not ours anyway; it is the Father’s.

Does the Bible ever say anywhere from Genesis to Revelation, “My house shall be called a house of preaching?” Does it ever say, “ My house shall be called a house of music”?

Of course not.

The Bible does say, “My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations.” Preaching, music, the reading of the Word - these things are fine, I believe in and practice all of them. But they must never override prayer as the defining mark of God’s dwelling. The honest truth is that I have seen God do more in people’s lives during ten minutes of real prayer than in then of my sermons.
From: Fresh wind, Fresh fire by Jim Cymbala (page 70-71)

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Wow! Everytime I read an excerpt from that book I always say to myself, "I must read that book!!"
Thanks for sharing!

Living Beyond said...

It is in my top five reads - I love it - hope you get to read it Nikki